Job role type: Paid Engineering Student Placement
Number of positions: 1
Start date: June 2018 (flexible)
Duration of placement: 12 months
Location: Loughborough , Leicestershire (LE11 3QF)
Deadline for applications: 5pm, Sunday 31st December 2017
Cenex is an independent not-for-profit low emission vehicle research and consultancy organisation. Originally set up in 2005, Cenex specialises in helping organisations to assess, select, deliver and implement low emission vehicle strategies.
- In the Transport Team, Cenex helps clients to implement low emission vehicle technologies into freight and logistics operations including electric, hydrogen and gas of all sizes.
- In the Energy Systems Team, Cenex support the development of smart and connected infrastructure that transform the way vehicles integrate with the National Grid. Cenex also support and advise on the installation of low emission vehicle infrastructure across the UK and Europe.
- In the Innovation Support Team, Cenex runs programmes on behalf of Central and Local Government to develop the UK supply chain, aiming to place the UK as the leading Country for the development of low emission vehicle technology.
Typical clients include Local Government (e.g. Nottingham City Council, Leeds City Council), major manufacturers (e.g. Robert Bosch, Jaguar Land Rover), private sector organisations (e.g. Royal Mail, Coca Cola) and transport operators (e.g. Transport for London, Transport for Great Manchester).
Cenex also runs the UK’s premier low carbon vehicle event (www.cenex-lcv.co.uk).
PLACEMENT PARTNER: GRIDSCAPE SOLUTIONS
Gridscape Solutions is a software and service company that specialises in designing and developing a broad range of smart energy solutions. Gridscape Solutions’ core competence is to leverage technological innovations and provide leadership in charging solutions. Its solutions provide operational efficiency and savings to its customers, in addition to creating new sources of revenue for them.
Gridscape Solutions has extensive experience in deploying smart grid software solutions. Its energy management consultants are subject-matter experts who can advise on implementation of industry’s best practice.
Cenex and Gridscape Solutions are working together to appoint a placement student based in Loughborough. The ideal candidate would be someone with a strong technical background and an interest in software distribution, sales and technical support.
The purpose of the role is twofold:
- to support Gridscape projects in the UK (early market entry phase)
- to support Cenex in electric vehicle R&D projects (particularly related to electric vehicle infrastructure).
A key objective of the role is to allow Gridscape Solutions to expand into the UK market, and work with Cenex to identify and engage partner organisations for Gridscape Solutions’ software platform. Product training will be given to the right candidate, and this could take place in either California or India.
For Cenex, the role is to work in a project delivery capacity, supporting Cenex’s extensive Vehicle-to-Grid research portfolio through technical reporting, modelling and analysis.
- An enthusiastic individual with an interest to pursue a career in the low emission vehicle and energy sector.
- An interest in software/cloud based systems.
- An interest in environmental issues.
- The candidate should feel confident in contributing ideas and be able to come up with solutions to problems. They should be able to understand client issues, and develop suitable solutions to their problems.
- The candidate should enjoy working with people and possess well developed people skills.
- First-rate communication skills, particularly written English and report construction.
- The candidate should feel confident and comfortable dealing with external stakeholders including partners, customers and sponsors.
- The candidate must have a confident and polite telephone manner.
- The candidate should enjoy working in a small team and be able to complete tasks using their initiative and work well without supervision.
- The candidate must possess excellent organisational skills, be efficient and very flexible.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint would be desirable.
- £17,000 per annum (exact figure to be confirmed)
- Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st December 2017.
- Candidates that we feel meet the requirements of the job will be offered a short telephone or skype interview in the New Year (likely to be 30 minutes long).
- Stage Two interviews (face-to-face) will take place in Loughborough in January/February 2018.