The Niche Vehicle Network is an independent association of over 400 niche vehicle manufacturers, specialist technology and supply chain companies. For the past ten years, we have provided funding and support to enable these companies to develop new technology and build prototype vehicles which form the basis of new sports car and motorcycles and which demonstrate that the UK industry leads the way in the adoption of lightweight materials and advanced powertrain solutions.
Research and Development funding
Since 2004 the Network has funded a wide range of innovative powertrain and lightweight vehicle projects, including:
- The lightweight carbon-aluminium composite chassis used within the Zenos E10
- Lightweight carbon-ceramic brakes, developed by Surface Transforms
- The development of the new Morgan 3-wheeler
- The use of titanium within automotive structures, as demonstrated within the Ariel Atom
- The Agility Saietta R, an all-electric motorcycle aimed at the urban sports sector
- Lightweight chassis, body and cockpit components for Westfield Sportscars
Other Support Activities
In addition to providing funding for R&D projects, the Network offers its members a forum for the sharing of knowledge through the hosting of a number of networking events throughout the year. These events bring its members together to share their knowledge and discuss the issues facing the niche vehicle supply chain. Furthermore the Network attends a number of industry shows, e.g. Autosport International, Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Cenex LCV show, with the aim of showcasing the engineering innovation exhibited within it membership.
Joining the Network is free of charge and enables members to take part in this forum and gain access to a wide range of suppliers who specialise within the niche vehicle sector. In addition, membership provides companies with full access to the NVN website, which provides a wealth of resources from previous project reports to a niche vehicle design guide and information on homologation.