Perm/temp/contract: Permanent (there are currently 3x positions available)
Deadline for applications: 31st December 2018
Established in 2005 as the UK’s first Centre of Excellence for Low Carbon and Fuel Cell technologies. Cenex (www.cenex.co.uk) operates as an independent not-for-profit consultancy and Research and Technology Organisation. Cenex specialises in low emission vehicle and associated charging infrastructure projects to support innovation and market development and help accelerate the shift to a low carbon economy. Cenex runs the UK’s largest annual low carbon vehicle technology showcasing and networking event (www.cenex-lcv.co.uk).
In the Energy team at Cenex, our vision is to support industry and government in reducing the harmful emissions from transport across the UK and Europe. We are a rapidly growing team seeking a project manager with experience leading technical projects and consultancy activities.
The individual will be responsible for delivery of individual R&D and consultancy projects, ranging from a few thousand pounds in value to multi-million pound collaborative projects. The individual will require some knowledge of Electric Vehicle (EV) recharging systems, and ideally wider experience in energy infrastructure for alternatively fuelled vehicles. Projects will include providing strategic advice on EV infrastructure planning and roll-out, as well as managing or supporting research projects examining emerging technologies such as vehicle-to-grid and inductive wireless charging. The individual must be a proven self-started and be confident in running customer-facing projects in technical STEM related disciplines.
We are advertising for both the Assistant Technical Consultant and Technical Consultant positions.
- Assistant Technical Consultant: Graduates and individuals with up to 2 years’ experience. These are development roles and individuals are expected to gain experience of projects and consultancy before taking on management of their own projects.
- Technical Consultant: Individuals with at least 2 years of relevant EV infrastructure/energy sector experience. Technical Consultants are expected to lead a major project as well as a range of smaller tasks, work packages and activities to support the team.
- Project management for a large project and a range of smaller tasks, work packages and activities to support the team.
- Inputting into and delivery of consultancy projects, typically providing technical and strategic advice to clients looking to roll-out EV infrastructure.
- Delivery of work-packages within research and development projects, typically examining emerging EV charging trends and how EV growth can be accommodated through managed charging and supporting investments in electricity generation and distribution.
- Developing and writing technical papers, reports and presentations on Cenex projects.
- Supporting the business development team to develop new products and services in low-carbon vehicle infrastructure to exploit learning from Cenex’ research projects, including supporting the development of new bids and tenders and wider business development activities.
- Co-ordinating and supporting the development of market studies and forecasts to maintain Cenex’s leading position as a Government advisor.
- Understanding client needs, and developing project proposals to meet these needs
- Ability to quickly extract key requirements from customer information.
- Support Head of Energy Systems with timely reporting of project status and progress.
- Project management experience for technical projects in a STEM discipline.
- Strong presenting skills and a willingness to speak at conferences.
- Knowledge of the infrastructure requirements for low emission vehicles, particularly electric vehicles, and an interest in the road-map for future development.
- Ability to interpret and apply technical standards and regulations.
- Consultancy and/or industrial experience covering the Energy or Automotive sectors.
- Degree qualified, with an ability to grasp, analyse and summarise complex technical information.
- 2 or more years of relevant industrial experience (Not applicable for Assistant Technical Consultant Role).
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills.
- First-rate communication skills, particularly written English and report construction.
- Confident when customer facing.
- Proven self-starter and capable of working unsupervised.
- Valid driving licence.
- Entitled to work in the UK post Brexit.
- Up to 2 years relevant experience (Assistant Technical Consultant Role).
- Knowledge of energy sector and understanding of the impact of electric vehicles on the energy network.
- Experience of industrial research within UK or European Union funded projects.
- Appreciation of the commercial considerations related to the development and operation of a charging network.
- Experience using mathematical models and/or simulation to solve complex technical and commercial problems.
- Relevant post-graduate qualification.
- Project management qualification (PRINCE2 or equivalent).
- Assistant Technical Consultant: £20,000 – £30,000 dependent on skills and experience.
- Technical Consultant: £30,000 – £40,000 dependent on skills and experience.
- Company pension scheme.
- 27 days holiday (plus bank holidays).
- Relocation package available.
- Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are willing to consider individuals at a less senior level with an appropriate adjustment to the remuneration package.