E-Flex was a co-innovation project which aimed to demonstrate the technical and commercial value of Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) in a range of real-world situations to gain insights into this emerging technology.
E-flex sought to:
- Demonstrate the commercial potential of V2G in energy markets, establishing it as an essential component of the net zero economy;
- Prove that EVs can generate benefits from V2G without negatively impacting the user experience; and
- Change the way people think about the relationship between vehicles and energy.
And answer these key questions:
- Does V2G technology work?
- Does V2G technology generate benefits without negatively impact the user experience?
- Does V2G technology deliver carbon emission improvements?
- Does V2G technology have commercial potential?
Cenex’s responsibilities were:
- recruitment of trial sites within the UK;
- installation of vehicle telematics and vehicle data collection;
- preparation of vehicle performance reports to participants sites;
- data collection and processing;
- Procurement, installation, and management of chargepoint equipment via our sub-contractor Virta;
- Supervision of the overall trial management on a site-by-site basis; and
Management of the ongoing communications and project dissemination
After four years of working on E-Flex, Cenex has been able to:
- Understand the state of the market in terms of technology, grid and customer readiness;
- Deploy of V2G across a range of UK locations;
- Discover more about user behaviour and V2G operations;
- Analyse the site power capacity benefits that V2G can bring;
- Understand more clearly the carbon emissions reductions possible by V2G; and
- Evaluate the benefits that V2G can bring to individual sites.