The Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) City Deal Office commissioned Cenex to prepare an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) Strategy to set out how an accelerated shift to cleaner vehicles can position the CCR as an exemplar region for low emission transport.
The requirement was for a ULEV Strategy to complement existing strategies and policies to promote uptake and use of low emission vehicles in South East Wales. The strategy must help the region improve air quality, reduce carbon dioxide emissions, and encourage regional economic development. It should also form an evidence base that can be used to support local, national and European funding bids.
Ultimately, the City Deal Office and local authorities in the CCR needed to know what fuels and technologies are mature now, and are therefore suitable for financial support, and what technologies may play a role in decarbonising road transport over the next five to 10 years.
- Assessing current vehicles, emissions and policies in the CCR
- Best practice review of regional strategies
- Development of roadmaps showing forecast technology developments for a range of low emission vehicle fuels and technologies, and recharging and refuelling infrastructure
- Development of 3 scenarios for uptake of low emission vehicles and associated infrastructure
- Identification of potential site types and areas for recharging and refuelling infrastructure
- Stakeholder engagement with bus and freight operators, local authorities, fleet supply chain and other key regional stakeholders
- Development of medium-long term strategic recommendations and near-term implementation options
The ULEV Strategy can be used by decision makers within the CCR to guide their strategy development and investment decisions. It is suitable for:
- The City Deal Office and other regional policymakers
- Local authorities and private sector organisations
- Infrastructure providers, such as EV chargepoint and gas refuelling station operators
- Organisations in the fleet supply chain, including manufacturers, converters, retrofit suppliers and aftersales support providers,
- PSV and freight fleets